Snail mucus is a mixture of active substances commonly thought to have healthy properties for the treatment of skin disorders. Although snail mucus is an ingredient of several cosmetic and para-pharmaceutic products, a comprehensive characterization of chemical composition and biological effects is still missing.
The snail secretion, or snail mucus, is a mucous substance that covers the entire external surface of the animal and is secreted by particular salivary epidermal glands located at the level of the snail’s foot (pedal glands) The mucus has different functions the snail mucus of Helix aspersa muller specie has a complex and still not well characterized composition.
Here are the reasons you should use snail slime on your skin:
1. It has Anti-Ageing Properties. According to Skin expert dermatologist and Lead Advisor for Brazilian Skin, Dr Andrea Godoy, when snails are placed under mild stress conditions, they excrete a thick fluid to protect themselves. The snail mucin aids human’s skin by hydrating, preventing ageing, improving wrinkles, scars, treating dry skin and stretch marks. It also helps stimulate the formation of collagen and elastin, protects your skin from free radicals, soothes your skin, repairs damaged tissues and restores hydration. Beyond the treatment of moisturising and healing your skin, SSF also has anti-ageing properties.
2. It Fades Scarring And Stretch Marks. The snail filtrate has two components that boost tissue repair and promote rapid cell renewal which is fibrinolysis enzymes-which is thought to be cellular nourishment for the skin and glycolic acid- it serves as a natural exfoliant which handles scars, fine lines and wrinkles, when you look at them all, they are a powerful ingredient. It has an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant solution which has proven its worth in scar and acne treatment. Snail slime softens your existing scars and damaged tissues. It also treats heavy scarring like ice-pick acne scars, hypertrophic scars and post-surgery scarring. It helps remove the dead materials from the scarring tissue and build new ones for skin cell regeneration. Snail slime contains very little or no oil. The effect takes 2-4 weeks.
3. It Kills Bacteria Snail has the ability to kill bacteria that causes acne in your skin. Your skin will remain clear if you use it consistently
4. It Treats Acne If you suffer from an acne breakout, snail slime is one of the best treatments because it contains natural antimicrobial properties, which helps fight bacteria that causes acne. In addition, glycolic acid also helps prevent breakouts by exfoliating the skin and removing dead skin and unclogging pores.
5. It Is Good For Hydration Hyaluronic acid which is part of snail slime ingredient attracts water molecules to the outer skin layers, keeping it hydrated. Snail slime contains 98% of water which is excellent for dry skin as those with dry skin often battle wrinkles and fine lines.
6. It Is A Protection Powerhouse The powerful tools of snail slime are its ingredients which include: antimicrobials, copper, hyaluronic acid, proteoglycans and glycoprotein. It houses a lot of ingredients that help your skin glow, smooth it and prevent wrinkles and fine lines. Try using a serum that includes a clinical level of snail mucin, you will experience a different skin within few days.
7. It Promotes Optimal Skin Health Snail slime contains much healthy benefit and important ingredient that nourishes, smoothing, moisturise your skin.
8. It Exfoliates Snail slime is an amazing exfoliant that removes dead skin cells and stimulates cell renewal. Its exfoliating properties are attributed to the natural collagen, elastin and glycolic acid found in it. It evens out your complexion and diminishes the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars.
Words Of Caution:
- Don’t go around picking up snail to put on your face! First wash the snail because of bacterial infection.
- For starters, test a small amount first to see how your skin reacts to it!
Written by: Mercy Otitoloju