Headache is a very common condition that most people will experience many times during their lives. The main symptom of a headache is a pain in your head or face which can be throbbing, constant, sharp or dull.
There are two main categories of headaches
– Primary headaches: this category of headache isn’t due to another medical condition. The category includes: cluster headaches, migraine, new daily persistent headaches (NDPH), and tension headaches.
– Secondary headaches: are headache disorders characterized by recurrent headache. Secondary headaches are related to other medical conditions, such as: head injury, high blood pressure (hypertension), infection, medication overuse, sinus congestion, trauma, and tumor.
The following are the various types of headaches:
– Migraine: This is a primary headache disorder. It is more common in women, usually by a factor of about 2:1, because of hormonal influences. Migraine is recurrent, often life-long, and characterized by recurring attacks. Attacks typically include headache and nausea. The attack frequency is anywhere between once a year and once a week.
– Tension-type headache (TTH): Is described as pressure or tightness, often like a band around the head, sometimes spreading into or from the neck. TTH attacks usually last a few hours, but can persist for several days.
– Cluster Headache (CH): This is a relatively uncommon type of headache characterized by frequently recurring (up to several times a day), brief but extremely severe headache, usually focused in or around one eye, with tearing and redness of the eye, the nose runs or is blocked on the affected side and the eyelid may droop.
Natural remedies for headache
1. Sip Some Ginger Tea
2. Relax with Yoga
3. Get Some Exercise
4. Try Acupuncture
5. Soothe Pain with a Cold Compress
6. Use Essential Oils
7. Avoid Strong Smells
8. Try a B-Complex Vitamin
9. Consider Taking Coenzyme Q10
10. Avoid excessive intake of caffeine
Written by: Ebere Chienjine