Candidiasis is a fungus infection caused by candida or yeast (a type of fungus) called candida albicans.
Candida lives in the body or on the skin without any problem, but becomes an infection when it grows out of normal. Vaginal candidiasis occurs when candida multiply and causes an infection in the vagina, when the environment inside the vaginal changes in a way that encourage its growth. It is also called vulvovaginal CANDIDIASIS, or vaginal yeast infection.
– Vaginal itching or sores
– Pain during sexual intercourse
– Pain or discomfort during urinating
– Abnormal vaginal discharge
– Redness, swelling and cracks in the wall of the vagina.
RISK AT GETTING VAGINAL CANDIDIASIS
– When pregnant
– Use of hormonal contraceptives
– Having a weakened immune system (having HIV infection or taking medication that weakens the Immune system such as steroid and chemotherapy
HOW TO PREVENT VAGINAL CANDIDIASIS
– Wearing of cotton underwear might help reduce the chances of getting the yeast infection
– Reduce the intake of drugs that reduce the immune system
– Taken antibiotics can lead to vaginal candidiasis so take the antibiotics only when prescribed
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Healthcare providers usually diagnose the vaginal CANDIDIASIS by taken a small sample of vaginal discharge to be examined under a microscope or it is send to laboratory for a fungal culture. However, a positive fungal culture doesn’t always mean that cadida is causing the symptoms because woman have candida without having any symptoms
Treatment of vaginal CANDIDIASIS is by taken antifungal Medicine
– Apply antifungal passery inside the vaginal for 3 – 6 days depending on the strength and type of the drugs
– Use of oral antifungal drug of fluconazole 150mg as a single dose
– Use of clotrimazole cream to be applied on the valva to stop itching and burning sensation
– For reoccurrence – use of 150mg of fluconazole every 72 hours for first 3 dose and take 150mg every week for 6 month
– Give an immune booster to increase the immune system and to hasten treatment
– Take cranberry multivitamin to increase nutrients and as an antioxidant to lower the risk of UTI and to boost the immune system.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR VAGINAL CANDIDIASIS
- Greek yogurt
- Boric acid
- Probiotics and supplements
- Coconut oil
- Tea tree oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vitamin C
Written by: Ruth Olusegun